Sunday, October 28, 2012

Earthquakes, shakes, and storms a brewing........

Well apparently quite a few people in the province of British Columbia felt the earthquake that happened around 8:00pm Saturday evening.  Ourselves...... didn't feel a thing! No worries of tsunamis hitting us, as we are a fair ways up from the beach and at times like this, I would say that is a good thing!

Not too much to report around here, I've been working this week and trying to get a girly owl hat finished up. Cleaning my house this weekend took precedence over crafting today. How a house can get so dusty is beyond my comprehension! So between laundry, vacuuming, dusting and straightening up my studio.....there isn't much happening in my world......I've been checking out Pinterest on a daily basis and that's not a good thing.....too many ideas and my ADHD and OCD want me to make it all!!!!!!!! But I am beginning to think what is the point.......how sad is that :(((( ...........I want to bake desserts and try out new meal ideas and I think once again.......what's the point :((((((.  I certainly don't need to eat desserts and the Hubs....well not that he wouldn't be willing, but he doesn't need the extra poundage either......so whats a girl to do!
I've on the look out for healthy foods. I love broccoli and this recipe sounds yummy. So its on the menu for tomorrow.


Pinned Image

Roasted Broccoli with Garlic, Lemon & Parmigiana-ReggianoServes 4
Ingredients
2 pounds broccoli crowns (be sure they are dry)
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed through garlic press
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon sugar
3 tablespoons Parmigiana-Reggiano*
Lemon wedge (optional)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. Cut broccoli into 2-inch florets, leaving one to two inches of stems attached. Discard remaining thick stalks. In a large bowl, combine olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and sugar and mix well. Add broccoli and toss to coat evenly. Transfer broccoli to prepared baking sheet. (You could also toss the broccoli on the prepared baking sheet, but the foil may rip, which causes a big mess.)
3. Roast for 10 minutes until crisp-tender and lightly browned in some spots. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons grated Parmigiana-Reggiano over broccoli. Taste and adjust seasonings. Transfer to serving dish and gently squeeze lemon wedge over broccoli if using. (Go easy! You only need 1-2 teaspoons of lemon juice). Sprinkle remaining cheese over top and serve hot.
 
I found this recipe for roasted mushrooms and I made it the other night. Lovvvvvve mushrooms, theyare healthy and seriously....... there are no calories in mushrooms.

Pinned Image
Oven or Grill top Roasted Mushrooms with Garlic, Thyme, and Balsamic Vinegar
(Makes 4 side-dish servings, recipe adapted slightly from Vegetables Every Day by Jack Bishop.)

Ingredients:
1 lb. mushrooms (I used brown Crimini mushrooms)
2 T + 1 tsp. olive oil
salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
1 T finely minced garlic
1 T balsamic vinegar
2 T finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 T chopped fresh parsley (optional, for garnish)

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 400F/200C or heat gas or charcoal grill to medium high. Wash mushrooms, pull out stems, and cut into halves (or quarters if the mushrooms are large.) Put mushrooms into bowl and toss with 2 T olive oil, salt, and fresh ground black pepper. Cover a roasting pan with foil, then arrange mushrooms on the pan in a single layer. (Spread them out as much as you can. For cooking on a grill, I'd probably use heavy foil to make a "pan" so the flame doesn't turn the bottom of the roasting pan black.)

Roast mushrooms 15 minutes. While mushrooms cook, finely chop fresh thyme, then mix with minced garlic, balsamic vinegar, and the tsp. of olive oil. (You could mix this right in the bowl you originally tossed the mushrooms with.)

After 15 minutes, drain off any liquid that has accumulated. (If you spread the mushrooms out well, the liquid will evaporate, but if yours are too crowded like mine, you'll have a little liquid to pour off.) Then toss the hot mushrooms with they garlic-thyme mixture. Arrange back on roasting pan and cook about 10 minutes more. Serve hot, sprinkled with chopped fresh parsley if desired.


Pinned Image

The Hubs mowed the lawn today to tidy up the lawn and mulch some of the leaves, and he wanted to lay some grass seed down to try and choked out the buttercup epidemic, well the tiny little birds thought he did it for them! They arrived by the hundreds...... much to Steve's delight and proceeded to eat the grass seed! Oooops! Not a good thing! So tomorrow I am going to get some bird seed and set up some feeders. This was a cute idea and I even have the hook.

So that's about my life these days, dulls-ville! Sue and I will go for a decent run in the morning and start working on our girlish figures for the holiday season that is fast approaching. I'm making a hair appointment this week to chop, chop, chop......(sure miss my girl Farrah) but it should make it easier to handle in the pool and for running. I think it shall be quite cheeky......and well that's the way I roll! Good night my dears, sweet dreams! I hope everyone has battened down their hatches in preparation of Hurricane Sandy hitting the East  Coast tomorrow, be safe and take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment